Sunday, December 12, 2010

My Flickr SlideShow

Here's my slideshow from Flickr.

When I was searching for images, I used the term "family." In class right now, we're reading a novel about a young woman who finds out she's adopted and goes in search of her birth parents. One of the underlying themes in the novel is nature versus nurture: Is Sandy (the main character) who she is because of her genes/birth parents or is she who she is because of her adoptive parents? Sandy struggles with the question of her identity because she discovers there's a piece of it she never knew existed.

I think it might be cool to show students a collection of family pictures from different eras and have them write creatively about how the families might have worked and functioned as a group of individuals and how hey influenced and shaped each other's character and development. Then, the students could move from there to writing about how their own families shape them.

No comments: